When Should You Replace, Re-Key, Or Change Your Locks?
As a homeowner sometimes you wonder when you should Retrofit, Change, or Re-key your locks. Here are some tips to help guide you.
When to Retrofit locks:
Retrofitting is when the guts of a lock that you want to keep is upgraded to ensure proper functionality.
- When you like the way the trim on the inside and outside face of your door looks, but the locking mechanism is no longer working properly.
When To Change locks:
Replacing a lock requires a full replacement of the locking mechanism and any accompanying knob or handle.
- After a break in (there may be damage to the locking mechanism).
- Not comfortable with your current security hardware and want something more durable.
- If your locks are old and you want new stylish locks.
- After buying a new home.
When to Re-key locks:
Re-keying involves removing the pins and springs in the lock cylinder and replacing them with new ones that operate with a new and different key.
- If you just moved in to a new home (cheaper than changing the locks).
- If a tenant gets evicted or moves out (this eliminates access from any spare keys from past tenants).
- If you lost your keys.