Spring/Summer Security Tips
Keep your home safe during this Spring and Summer!
‘Tis the season when days get longer, which means you and your family are going to be enjoying more outdoor activities including vacation. Intruders and burglars rev up their activity in warmer months and we want to help you prevent theft.
1. Visually check your door for damaged springs and cables. Look for wear and tear or bent metal. Most doors will need to be repaired professionally because of the tension systems they use.
2. Check fire extinguishers, test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and change batteries immediately if needed.
3. Windows should be checked to ensure they open and close properly, in case they are needed as an exit.
4. Never leave garage door openers in cars parked on the street or in your driveway.
5. Always lock any doors that lead from the garage to the outside or from the garage to the inside of your home. Don’t leave your doors unlocked.
6. When on vacation, unplug or lock your garage door’s opener unit to prevent unwanted access.
7. Always lock your doors and roll up the windows when you exit your vehicle. Car thieves regularly patrol parking lots and try door handles to see if they will open. When storing valuable items in the trunk, try to do so before reaching your destination. Often times, thieves watch their victim before breaking into a car to see if valuables were placed in the trunk.
8. Intruders will come to your door and distract you, while the other sneaks into your garage, back yard or home to take whatever they can grab. Be wary of unwanted guests and don’t let them take up too much of your time. Every year thousands of burglaries occur all over the United States. Teach your family how to guard themselves and their property and do what you can to ensure a safe and happy spring/summer for everyone.